Sunday, May 4, 2014

Cosmetic Cabinetry

   Clearly we've come a long way in six months if we're now concerned with the cabinets. When we first moved in, the cabinetry, unattractive though it may have been, was the only thing the kitchen had going for it. 
   So Pete and I have officially run headlong into a home renovation phenomena. It seems that when you manage to redo three and a half rooms in a house with a handful of tools, four paint brushes, sheetrock, a mile of moulding and several gallons of paint, caulk and liquid nails, you then start to be bothered by what seemed perfectly fine just a few months before. Humans are so silly. 
   So here we are with nothing better to do than reface the cabinets. I found this idea on a blog where the people clearly know what they are doing. It is a project that involves paintable beadboard wallpaper and what Pete calls "sticks".




And this is how it turns out.



   So here is my latest non-problem. Though I really like both the 'casual afternoon' of the cabinets and the 'cool cucumber' of the walls, it would seem that 'cucumber' and 'sage' simply do not go well together - a perfect example of my complete lack of the 'color gene' to which I have alluded before.





   But screw it, I think we can live with this for a while. And if not, well...Stephen at Steward's Hardware will talk me through it yet again.

   And now, just for the drama of the thing, and because I recently found this picture of our very first morning here...


And now...six months later


You wouldn't recognize that sweatshirt I was wearing either.

3 comments:

  1. It has been and would continue to be my pleasure.

    Stephen at Steward's Ace Hardware

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw ~ While I failed to mention it earlier, the place looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many thanks, and I'm sure we need something so see you soon.

      Delete